City of San Marino
History of San Marino
The principal portions of San Marino were included in a Mexican Land Grant in 1830 to an Indian lady named Senora Victoria Reid, the widow of an Englishman. She named her Rancho, Huerta de Cuati, Prior to this grant, the area was part of the San Gabriel Mission (the "Old Mill" was the grist mill for the Mission), and before was occupied by the Gabrielino Indians with their village located at what is now Huntington School. In 1852, Senora Reed deeded her Rancho to Don Benito Wilson, then conveyed to his son-in-law, James DeBarth Shorb, 500 acres which Shorb named "San Marino" after his grandfather's plantation in Maryland. In 1903, the Shorb estate was purchased by Henry E. Huntington and in 1913 the three primary ranchos of Wilson,Patton and Huntington, together with the subdivided areas from those and smaller ranchos, such as Stoneman, White and Rose were incorporated as the City of San Marino, the first mayor was general George S. Patton, Sr.
To a prior generation of Southern Californians, San Marino was known for its old-money wealth and as a bastion of the region's WASP gentry. By mid-century, other European ethnic groups had become the majority; in recent decades, immigrants of Chinese (especially Taiwanese) ancestry have come to represent more than half of the population.
|About City of San Marino|
Nestled in the sprawling San Rafael hills between Pasadena and San Gabriel, the Californian city of San Marino is characterized by lavish properties surrounded by exciquisite gardens. Occupying less than four square miles,the area is uniquely residential, with the climate is temperate with temperatures ranging from an average 40 degrees during winter months to an average of 90 degrees in the summer. The City of San Marino is divided into zones depending on lot size, lots start at 4,500 square feet and reach over 30,000 square feet. The city's strict views on historic preservation restrict larger developments. San Marino government applies restrictions to commercial operations within the city. Commercial vehicles must be granted permits to enter and work within the city.
San Marino Schools
According to the Academic Performance Index of 2011, the San Marino Unified School District is California's best performing school district. The San Marino School District includes Carver and Valentine Elementary Schools, Huntington Middle School and San Marino High School. Private Schools in San Marino includes Southwestern Academy, a college preparatory school, and Saints Felicitas and Perpetua Grammar School, a Catholic elementary school serving students from kindergarten through 8th grade. The Crowell Public Library on Huntington Drive opened in 2008 and plays host to a range of activities and classes for residents of all ages and abilities.
|Thinking of Selling your Home?|