A Bit About Altadena
The name Altadena derives from the Spanish word "alta" means "upper", and "dena" from Pasadena, area is adjacent to, but higher elevation than Pasadena.
A brief history of Altadena, when Benjamin Eaton first developed water resources from the Arroyo Seco and Eaton Canyon front the mid--1860's to his vineyard near the edge of Eaton Canyon, this made a development of Altadena, Pasadena, and South Pasadena possible however, a real estate pattern called the San Pasqual Plantation failed by 1870 despite the irrigation ditch Eaton engineered that drew water from around the site of present day Jet Propulsion in the Arroyo Seco.
In 1880, Capt Fredetick Woodbury and his brother John Woodbury purchased 937 acres known as Woodbury Ranch,later developed as Woodbury Subdivision. The newly sprouted community immediately began to attract millionaires fom the East. In 1887, Andrew McNally, the printing merchant from Chicago and his friend Col. G G Green built mansions on what was to become Millionaire's Row, Mariposa Street near Santa Rosa Avenue.
Some trivia about Altadena, the Official Flower of Altadena is California Golden Poppy (Eschscholzia Californica), indigenous to the southland, was a landmark to Spanish sailors who recognized the area by a sweeping gold carpet. Sailors referred to the marvelous vision as sabanilla de oro means "altar cloth of gold". And the Official Tree is Deodar Cedar (Cedrus Deodara) indigenous to the Himalayas, the deodar was brought as seeds to Altadena in 1883 by Founder John Woodbury, who saw the beautiful trees in Italy. Growing the trees, and after two years, trees were transplanted to Santa Rosa Avenue where they now stand majestically as Christmas Tree Lane
Things to do in Altadena
Altadena Community Calendar
Altadena Town and Country Club
Altadena Senior Citizen Center
Altadena Phone Numbers
|Thinking of Selling your Home?